Sunday, August 1, 2010

How can I get rid of the dry, hard bits at the corners of my finger nails?

I have hard, dry bits of skin at the front edges of my fingernails.





I have exceptionally smooth, soft skin for a man, %26amp; I moisturise my hands everyday. My job involves manual work, but maintain soft hands by exfoliating %26amp; moistursing regularly, but I cannot get rid of these bits.





If my hands are a bit dry, they catch on some soft materials. They're a pain in the proverbials %26amp; I want rid of them.





Short of a professional manicure, how can I get rid of them?





I sometimes trim them, sometimes file them , but they keep coming back.





Is it because I am a man? (Strangely I have much softer skin than my wife, who is jealous) Or is it due to manual work?





I have a very healthy diet %26amp; drink more than 8 glasses of water daily, so it's not a hydration thing.





I've tried strong salicyclic acid, mild salicyclic acid, various moisturisers %26amp; warm baths on them.





Any ideas?





P.S. I just like having soft, sensitive hands, I AM very masculine, I AM straight and not a transvestite....okay?How can I get rid of the dry, hard bits at the corners of my finger nails?
Sounds to me like it could be down to the manual work; my dad used to work in a furniture factory doing veneering and and his fingernails were always like that. I have also seen more men than women with this, but you say your hands are very soft, so it's probably the work you do. Only thing i can think of is to try rubbing cuticle oil on those bits and see if that works. Vaseline before you go to bed (so it stays on for several hours to get soaked up) may also be worth a try.How can I get rid of the dry, hard bits at the corners of my finger nails?
Sand them off with an emery board. They'll keep coming back, and you'll need to keep sanding them off.
Cuticle oil or cream. Maybe ur wife already has some?
Freak


.
yes, i agree, use an emery board. It works wonders :)
I agree that is is likely just small callous formation due to manual labor, especially if repeated pressure from your fingertips causes your own nails to dig in a bit. Then these callouses will form to protect your own fingers and the nerve endings underneath. If you are using moisturizing lotion regularly, then you are probably doing all that you can, and appearance wise, I would find it perfectly acceptable. If it is really bothersome or unusual for you, you could have a doctor look at it just to rule out more serious conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment