Sunday, August 1, 2010

What aer your ';tricks'; for cutting your little one's finger nails? my three month old is a little monkey.....?

and i have tried biting the nails off, bought a baby nail clipper, tried to cut them while he sleeps and he just wiggles so much...i don't want to hurt him and i also don't want him to scratch himself......do you have any ';tricks up your sleeve'; that work for you? ....same for toe nails too ....i tell you he is a real little monkey and loves to wiggle and jiggle!!! ha ha!!! thank you so much!!What aer your ';tricks'; for cutting your little one's finger nails? my three month old is a little monkey.....?
I have tried everything! I finally came up with a plan that works for us though.





I sit on the lazy boy with my son sitting up between my legs. I use my legs to hold him still. I put my right arm across his right arm and chest while he chews/sucks on my arm. I grab his free hand with my other hand, hold him steady and clip. clip, clip. I just repeat the process the opposite way for the other hand.





Sometimes it take me a few tries to get him to hold still long enough.What aer your ';tricks'; for cutting your little one's finger nails? my three month old is a little monkey.....?
What I found easiest to use was a baby nail clipper with a handle on it (to make it easier for the parents). While I was feeding my daughter, my husband would clip her nails. Sometimes we would only get 3 done at a time, but the next time we did the next 3 (or however many she would stay still for). Sometimes when she was playing I would just firmly hold one hand and clip it, then switch to the next. She was a very wiggly baby, but easy going at the same time and didn't mind me holding her hand still. You'll find a way that works best for you.
i know what you mean!! my daughter is now almost 7 months but even since she was a few months old it was sooo hard to cut her nails! I tried doing it when she was sleeping as well it worked a bit better but i felt so bad that i was going to wake her and bugging her while she's trying to sleep haha but all you can do is be in good light hold there hands tight give them something to distract them in the other hand and i just make sure the bottom of the clippers are under her nail and above her finger and clip... i know its hard but they get better now she just kinda watches what im doing lol but the feet are the worse cuz she kicks like crazy!!! Good Luck!!!
I used the sleeping and biting techniques, but my daughter seems to constantly move her hands (she's just discovered they have wiggly fingers attached!) and if she is disturbed while sleeping her hands flex out straight and flat (in a sort of ';woah! what was that'; gesture), so now I put my thumb in her palm and my fingers around her wrist, across the top of her arm (does that make sense?). She automatically holds on to my thumb, so I can bite the excess nail off quite easily. I find it much easier and quicker than the tiny nail clippers I used to start with.
My son needed to be swaddled to sleep for all naps and night so I could never use the sleeping trick. When he was a newborn I could peel the nails off while he was nursing. Now I cut them right after his bath at night. I make up really crazy songs with crazy voices to distract him and make him hold still while I am doing it. Sometimes daddy has to show my son his blackberry or cell phone when the singing fails to captivate him. Toenails are the toughest (my son is always kicking) and thankfully they don't grow nearly as fast. I don't think I cut them at all for the first 3 months! BTW, my son is 9 months old now.
At 3 months i did it while my baby was sleeping but now at 5 months i usally sing or make silly noises to distract him and this works fine i mange to cut them and he doesnt even no i have done it. I use the rounded baby sissors as i dont like the clippers i used them once and cut a bit of skin which bleed i felk so bad. Also do it after a bath as the nail is softer.
hi,


when my daughter was young i always had to cut her finger nails and toe nails either while she was in a deep sleep... basically make sure when you want to cut his nails don't do it durring his nap, distract him all day until he is exhausted then when he goes to bed he will be so tired and worn out that he will be in lala land and won't feel a thing.


Try it.... it worked for me


or you can even put little cotton mittens so he doesn't scratch himself


good luck
My son is the same way! He never stops moving! When i do his toes i give him something to play with in his hands! It keeps him so occupied trying to figure out what he has! Then when i do his hands i just lean down and have the back of my head face him on the changing table then i will put my arm across his chest with my elbow on the table and hold he wrist with one hand and clip with the other! Its hard to explain but if you can picture it in your head youll get the idea!! LOL..it makes it easier also if you give him a bath first so it softens up the nail! It will also make them easier to bite them off if you have too!
I cut Olivia's nails right after her bedtime bath, while she's eating her last bottle. She's very relaxed and calm by then, and her nails are softened from the bath.





And now that I think about it, she's almost 5 months old and I've only cut her toenails twice?! I guess they're slow growers =)
I usually try to file my sons nails, I am afraid that I am going to cut his skin if I use the nail clippers. I also try to do it while he is sleeping or while my husband is home so he can do it while he eats.
if sleeping doesnt work, i'd try to have someone feed him a bottle while you do it. my little one is 17months and i have to do it in his high chair, literally holding him hand/arm so he doesnt move because he still screams.
i bite my daughters nails off on both the hands and feet. i use to wait till she was asleep but now i just give her a toy to attempt to preoccupy her but sometimes it doesn't work so them we just try again
i was told by my doctor if u dont feel comfortable to use nail clippers ... then after u give him a bath just set him on ur lap and bite off the acess nail.. its soft from the water and its clean for you and it wont scare the baby or u....
you just get the hang of it after awhile. maybe try doing it 1st thing in the morning
I wait until my son is sleeping with the little scissors. if you are still afraid of cutting him try just filing them with a soft emery board.
I've always had to cut my 1 yr old daughters while shes asleep if shes awake shes wiggling and grabbing at the clippers and it doesn't get done if shes awake..
I do it while he's eating a bottle. I feed him and my boyfriend cuts our son's nails... easiest way I find.
I bite them off while he nurses himself to sleep.





Sometimes I use a file.





I have never had any sucess with the clippers

No comments:

Post a Comment